Friday, December 2, 2016

Some thoughts from Joe


High command on table: I was thinking a single figure 3 hit unit as per Dragon Rampant. Free, over and above 60 point total force. 4+ shooting (If allowed to shoot) and 4+ h2h. 

No Negative traits for this leader, he is the tabletop personification of the player and any idiosyncrasies shall be provided for by the player controlling. This Figure can take control of leaderless units automatically, counting as the maximum leadership for the unit's troop type. If this figure is lost, he may not be replaced for the duration of the campaign, unless special circumstances arise (i.e. promotion from the ranks of a exceptional individual, like the Turk.) 
General Staff officers: 1/2 figure count units, Unit type dependent on army involved. Europeans defaulting to regular cavalry?, Natives could be a witch doctor/chief and bodyguard. Fight as regular unit (2 hits per model, strapping sons of Victoria that they are). If I recall, Dragon Rampant has a few "Spells" that allow units to do things. Count these as command actions (Rally a pinned unit so that it may act, move a little faster, ect.) Perhaps allow "General" figure to do this as well. 
Steam Powered Vehicles: I have had this idea running around in my head for a while, and I think they have matured to a serviceable point. If we have some models, we can give them a try. I don't have any "chrome" or points on them right now, but we can try out the concept. basically, they are treated as field guns that have "Armor", or a default number of hits that equal one actual hit. 
Artillery reduces this, as normal. I won't go into huge details, but those are the basics. I'm going to work up a few templates for us to try out. 
Skirmish Sized combats: I think the simplest response to this is to use the skirmish modifications in the core rules, or at least try them out. Also, most people here seem to like GURPS. Personally, I am no fan of In Her Majesty's name, but I am willing to try a test game. 
Name of Continent: Being that your vote has a decidedly Germanic ring to it, I cannot but oppose it due to the fact that this would imply German discovery. This is an obvious impossibility as, unlike right proper Englishmen, Germans do not know how to sail. On a serious note, I see no issue with continuing to call the continent Daftrica.
Things I want out of this Campaign: 
1. Meaningful strategic play as well as tabletop "tactical" stuff. 
2. fun loving good natured opponents 
3. to stand on the throats of my defeated opponents while listening to the lamentations of their women while their villages burn. (I'll get back to you on the other stuff)

No comments:

Post a Comment